[OSGeo-Discuss] The importance of a project's license

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 09:05:02 PDT 2012

On Jul 27, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Ian Turton <ijturton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 July 2012 15:50, Mr. Puneet Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 27, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Landon Blake <sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think there is a tradeoff in the licensing decision between the
>>> greater adoption that comes with a "weaker" license, and the stricter
>>> adherence to open source principles that come with a "stronger"
>>> license. (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html)
>>>
>>> I'm not making a statement about which license is better for OSGeo
>>> Projects, I'm just making a general statement. I personally feel the
>>> principles in the GPL and LGPL are more important than wider adoption
>>> for my projects. But I'm just a hobby programmer.
>>

>> Yes, choice of license is a personal one, and while we may disagree on it,
>> we have to abide by the choices that others make.
>>

> Actually choice of licence may be imposed on you by employer or sponsoring
> organisation -

Yes, of course. I wasn't bringing into discussion situations where I had no control. If my terms of hire or funding state something, I have to abide by that, and all this discussion is moot.

> The only thing I hate more than licence discussions is meetings with the
> lawyers.

Indeed. Which is why I short-circuit all license discussions in my personal domain by not having any license. Life is too short and precious, in my view, to encumber with these complications. I'd rather be having a cold beer.

--
Puneet Kishor