[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Sun Jul 29 17:49:52 PDT 2012

On 30/07/12 02:19, seven at arnulf.us wrote:
> Really good idea, and great to see so many interested.
>
> I offer to act as data licensing advisor / clearinghouse and add what we
> learn from the process to the OSGeo Wiki. Step one of my planned Public
> Geospatial Data Committee revival. Step two will be an OSGeo White Paper
> defining Open Data, VGI, Crowdsourced and so on geospatial data. If
> there is interest...
>
> Cheers,
> Arnulf
>
> --
> Arnulf Christl (aka Seven)
> http://arnulf.us

Hi All,

I think a map book is a great way to showcase fosGIS. I also remember
the ESRI map book that came with Arcview. Although little help in
understanding how the maps were produced it did give you a sense of what
could be achieved using the package.

I think it important however that people *do not* use Inkscape, unless
of course it is being put up as an fosGIS package. Using Inkscape has
come about due to the inherent deficiencies in map production in various
packages.

Any maps produced for such a book need to be produced solely using the
package they are meant to be showcasing. Otherwise the resulting map is
not representative of what can be produced using a particular GIS
package but rather the artistic skill of the cartographer!

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides