[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Geospatial Atlas

julia harrell julia.harrell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 06:26:34 PDT 2012

>>To me, telling how it was done with open source geospatial
>>tools is as important as that it was done with open source
>>geospatial tools.

I agree with Doug and others on this point. Those ESRI map books are
'pretty', but (much like the software) have little or no transparency
in that they don't include any details about the cartographic
techniques, design principles, or data processing rationales used.
They do not serve any educational purpose for the software users,
other than to show that it is possible to produce such a product -
without providing any hints as to how. An OSGEO map book definitely
should help educate. This would make it a superior product - even if
some of the maps aren't quite as 'pretty' as those in the ESRI map
book :)