[OSGeo-Discuss] regional conferences

Dimitris Kotzinos kotzino at csd.uoc.gr
Fri Jun 15 10:15:27 PDT 2012

Dear all,

I saw with great pleasure the call for organizing the 1st Latin America
FOSS4G conference.
Congrats to the friends there and let me add my offer to help in any
possible way to those who preceded me.

The purpose of my e-mail though is a bit different. Taking into account
the fact the this year we had the North America regional conference, the
central European regional conference and now the Latin America Regional
Conference I feel that it is due time to move to a mixed scheme of an
international and regional conferences.

Thus I propose that we have the odd years (starting from 2013) ONLY the
international event (our very successful FOSS4G conference) and the even
years (starting from 2014) ONLY the regional conferences.
Being in a world in crisis where funding for travel becomes more
difficult and where people cannot participate in too many conferences in
a year I feel that this is an acceptable compromise.
So I call upon the board to decide on this proposal and, of course, all
of you to argue in favor :) or against!

One final note for the European participation on this list: I suggest
that we start organizing a regional European level FOSS4G (if there is
agreement also integrating in it the Central-Eastern Europe event)
starting from 2014. I volunteer Greece to host the first such event (OK,
given that things in Greece will not turn out too bad :)).
If there is an initial agreement we can organize things a bit more.

Thanks for the consideration of both proposals,

Dimitris Kotzinos