[OSGeo-Discuss] Simple Topology File Format Specification

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Jun 21 07:40:20 PDT 2012

Landon,

Before you get too far gone.  :c).  I would like to encourage you to rethink the idea of using a DB.  PostGIS would be great for what you have described, and with some CGI programming, you could pop out SHP file from the database as needed.

We went through all this same type of work some years back specifically for our sewer system. Started out in Oracle, and used AutoCAD topobase for a while, and now run our Web side via a PostGIS sync to the Oracle/Postgis side.  Originally, we did the same as you've described, two files (tables) one for nodes, and one for segments.  These two tables are enough to capture everything needed to rebuild the structures dynamically for a 3D representation of the sewer system.

bobb