[OSGeo-Discuss] Transform from winkel_ii

Asimov asimov6 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 11:24:10 PST 2012

Hello,

In advance please forgive me for not using the correct jargon.

I have a database with boudingboxes for objects on a map in meters for
the Winkel II projection. I want to read these boudingboxes and
transform them to Mercator Web to use them with OpenLayers.

I noticed that in proj4 the winkel_ii transform functions are available,
but not in proj4js.

My plan would be to install a proj4 package on my linux server and call
the transformation function from php code.

My question is: will this work? Can I call proj4 functions from php. If
so, which function(s) would I use? Can you give me an example how to do
that from php?

[EDIT]
I have now testet with cs2cs.exe and tried:

cs2cs.exe +proj=wink2 +datum=WGS84 +to +proj=latlon +datum=WGS84
with coordinates: 390423.776 5958130.269

there was no result, when I try the same with +proj=wink1 I do get
result. I figure this is because there is no inverse calculation
available for wink2, but of course I am not sure.

Thanks a lot for your time!