[OSGeo-Discuss] Talk on Copyright and Licensing for Geospatial Data [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce Bannerman B.Bannerman at bom.gov.au
Tue Mar 13 15:52:58 PDT 2012

Landon,

At [1] you'll find the report from the 'Inquiry into Improving Access to Victorian Public Sector Information and Data' from Australia's Victorian Parliament.

Their approach is to move towards a Creative Commons scheme. This allows the recognition of the data set creator's copyright.

There are a lot of relevant observations in the report.

CC is becoming the default approach from many governments around the world.

If you dig a little deeper at [1], you'll see the OSGeo AustNZ submission put together by myself and Cameron Shorter. We were even cited in the final report a few times.

Bruce

[1] http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/component/content/category/31