[OSGeo-Discuss] Future perspectives for OSGeo

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed May 2 10:32:36 PDT 2012

Il 02/05/2012 19:04, Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) ha scritto:
> We see new opportunities by starting joint activities with the Eclipse
> foundation - which is in the process of spawning activities explicitly
> focused on geospatial. They have lots of high level contacts but lack a
> noteworthy community. This is where we in turn did exceptionally well,
> we are perceived as *the* global voice for open source geospatial.
Hi Arnulf.
Thanks for your thoughts and work. As everybody knows, the free GIS
community is unfortunately split, more or less deeply, in two tribes
(C/C++ and Java). I must admit I do not know the Eclipse community very
well, so my words could be inappropriate, but given the presumably
strong tie between Eclipse and Java, I am slightly worried that the move
you propose would make OSGeo perceived as more Java-inclined. Being the
global voice, as you pointed out, is OSGeo strength, and should not be
missed.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini