[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Publishing and distributing data sets

Tanner Lin public.t.lin at gmail.com
Fri May 18 06:58:03 PDT 2012

Hi John

Geospatial datasets are easily measured in TBs, and we have tall HDD racks
in the lab. So the short answer for question one is we do.

Since you mentioned "share data with colleagues" I guess you're talking
about those free datasets which are legal to share without any
purchase/subscription. My personal experience maybe very limited, but I have
only heard of people sharing large geospatial datasets using P2P tools
within very small and closed groups. When people around me talk about "share
large data" they mean share URLs towards data providers or centralized
public mirrors. I'm not sure why P2P is not popular.