[OSGeo-Discuss] Happy GIS Day to all (Now - "FREE GIS Day" - not Today :-)

Seven seven at arnulf.us
Thu Nov 15 07:18:42 PST 2012

Just to make sure that the honor goes to who deserve it, the idea
originated somewhere between https://twitter.com/spara and
https://twitter.com/sgillies and probably many more, /me just did a
dumb retweet no more.

It is all about marketing.

Did you know that Americans originally had a light breakfast and even
tended to work before eating? So when did the full scale eggs and
bacon combo become commonplace and why?

from http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071022105235AAjgON2:
(...)
The meal was popularized in the United States by Edward Bernays during
the 1920s and 1930s. In order to promote sales of bacon, he conducted
a survey of physicians and reported their recommendation that people
eat hearty breakfasts. He sent the results of the survey to 5,000
physicians, along with publicity touting bacon and eggs as a hearty
breakfast.
 ---
...and saved the business' neck. Plus he ruined a whole populations'
health, but that is another story. In his letter to the physicians
Edward actually suggested that a hearty breakfast be good and also
mentioned that bacon be part of it. Up to then nobody thought that
bacon in the morning made any sense (and it is kind of gross, is it
not?). From a business perspective it was a great idea which and saved
the companie's neck trying to sell bacon. As a side-effect(!) nowadays
the whole world believes that ham and eggs and baked beans and 16
thousand calories is how a good American starts the day.

So what campaign would you run to make OSGeo Software the new light
breakfast of choice?

(One week drunken GIS fiesta is not an option, although it would have
a charm...).

Cheers,
Arnulf

Am 2012-11-15 14:16, schrieb Tim Bowden:

>>> Well spotted. I guess we already have it. It is tomorrow and it
>>> is the PostGIS day. Obviously.
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers, Arnulf
>>
>> PostGIS Day?
>>
>> http://postgis.refractions.net/
>>
>> So the next day after PostGIS Day would be,
>>
>> QGIS Day
>>
>> then,
>>
>> uDIG Day.

>> It's sort of OSGeo Fiesta for GIS
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Exciting week for GIS - Fiesta for GIS, Tequila, .. Oder Wurst,
>> Beer -und Pretzels.
>>
>> Noli
>
> After QGIS day, R-GIS day (spatial analysis with R)? Anything for S
> & T? Maybe a 2 day break before celebrating Udig-GIS day.
>
> Tim Bowden.

- --
http://arnulf.us
Exploring Space, Time and Mind