[OSGeo-Discuss] [Live-demo] Are there opportunities to collaborate in the GIS Portal market?

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Nov 15 12:10:07 PST 2012

I'll modify/add to that list:
localwiki is not a a GeoPortal it's a place based wiki, quite different
from the others (It's not meant to catalog data sets, it's meant to
catalog the real world with geotags/geofences).
Example: https://scruzwiki.org/

Geodjango is a framework for creating such sites and really doesn't need
to be installed separate as the python lib can be shared by all sites on
the system: localwiki is built on GeoDjango (I can't recall if Geonode
is Geodjango or just django). .. So it's more like a Library.

More geoportals:
OpenGeoPortal
http://opengeoportal.org/
Lead contacts are at Tufts Univ.

Eoxserver
http://eoxserver.org/
Contact: Stephan Meissl

Note on Geonode, it has a 3 member PSC - 1 member is from OpenGeo
(originator and heavy contributor) I can ask on the mailing list who
wants to be the contact.

Commentary:
There seem to be a few groupings(Several cross, but I'm not sure any are
in all);
Editors - Data is primarily created/edited via the website,
"collaborative digitizing"

Catalogs - Data is uploaded with metadata and can be searched for and
downloaded

Visualization - Data is uploaded, you can style it and compose a map
from the layers, and publish the map

Services - Data uploaded is exposed externally via OGC services

Thanks,
Alex