[OSGeo-Discuss] Seeking guidance for contributing to OSGeo.

Mohammed Rashad mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 22:50:49 PDT 2012

Hi,

The first national FOSS4G conference is about to happen on this month
25-27. I think registrations are still open[1]. The conference is held at
IIIT-Hyderabad, India. please see the program schedule [3]

[1] http://lsi.iiit.ac.in/foss4gindia/
[2] http://iiit.ac.in/
[3] http://lsi.iiit.ac.in/foss4gindia/?q=tentative-program-schedule

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Afternoon:
>
> OSGeo is a Foundation, as such there are lots of projects to look at.
> Perhaps one of them strikes your interest?
>
> If you are unsure where to start I recommend volunteering on the OSGeo
> Live DVD project (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc) which is a
> good introduction to what is available.
>
> Finally OSGeo does have individual "chapters" in each region - including
> one in your area (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/India). I recommend having a
> look at their activities, and introducing yourself on their mailing list.
>
> All the best!
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On Sunday, 14 October 2012 at 6:59 AM, Akshita Tyagi wrote:
>

> Dear Sir,
>
> I am willing to contribute to your organization as a developer. I have a
> prior experience in Geographical Information Systems (GIS). As a summer
> trainee under Defense Research and Development Organization, Ministry
> of Defense, India; I worked on a project titled "Development of PostgreSQL
> to OpenMap interface for basic vector overlay".
>
> OpenMap is an open source GIS Tool that enables us to work on various set
> of map data. In order to create overlays, OpenMap GIS provides the
> functionality to create basic set of overlays which include point, line,
> polyline, polygon, splines etc. I was assigned a task to establish a
> connection between OpenMap and PostgreSQL using JDBC, with the aim of
> storing the overlays drawn on any particular layer of OpenMap along with
> its user given unique name and attributes, which may be retrieved as and
> when required.
>

> Kindly guide me on how I can start and make my contribution. I look
> forward to a positive response from you.
>
> Thanking You.
>

> Best Regards
>

> --
> Akshita Tyagi
>
> **Chairperson | IEEE MSIT WIE Student Branch Affinity Group |
> Maharaja Surajmal Institute of Technology, Delhi
> Email ID : akshita.tyagi at ieee.org | Website : www.ieee.org

Regards,
   Rashad