[OSGeo-Discuss] Many Thanks and heavy responsibility

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Sat Oct 27 08:57:05 PDT 2012

Dear All,

Apologies for the delay in my response.

Took me some time to recover from a bad cold and also from the
pleasant shock of learning that Sol Katz award for 2012 was bestowed
upon me. I think that the tiny bit that I could do to promote OSGeo/FOSS4G
was possible only due the great work by the wonderful bunch of
people at OSGeo.

I see this award as recognition for OSGeo/FOSS4G activities in
Asia which has been experiencing a recent surge as evident
from recent FOSS4G related events in this part of the world.

I am grateful for your support and goodwill over the years. It
would be very difficult for me to name everyone who have helped
me in my OSGeo/FOSS4G journey as that would be a pretty long
list. Salutations to Sol Katz for his vision and his family and OSGeo
for keeping his memories alive.

Special thanks to two of the early FOSS-tronauts ,  Markus Neteler  for
helping me get started, to Jeff McKenna for his lessons in community
building,
to folks at OSGeo.JP and Osaka City University and all of you for support
in many ways.

Best to all and look forward for your continued support to bear this
heavy responsibility.

Venka