[OSGeo-Discuss] any news on Eclipse Location Industry Working Group?

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 04:22:46 PDT 2012

> Have there been any progress on links with this new geo centred open source
> foundation group?

Arnulf covered the formal arrangements.
> How is this going to affect the official osgeo's projects? Will there be
> common projects to both foundations? If so, will there be 2 repositories?
> Will funding raised by Eclipse LIWG reach projects on OSGeo?

My take is that OSGeo is focused on fostering open source spatial, our mandate allows us to work with projects wherever we find them (LocationTech, Apache etc…).

I got to cover this in a recent presentation on OSGeo and Incubation (http://how2map.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/osgeo-incubation-start-of-something.html). Hopefully I did the topic justice.

I have been attending the LocationTech meetings, the uDig project I work on has a proposal (http://locationtech.org/proposals/user-friendly-desktop-internet-gis-udig) to join LocationTech (in part because it is an Eclipse RCP project). So far it has been educational experience comparing the incubation process between the foundations (and a bit of a pain selecting a license (http://udig-news.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/udig-change-to-epl-and-bsd-license.html) compatible with the Eclipse foundation).
> Just trying to figure this new reality out...

I think it is the same reality :-)

Jody