[OSGeo-Discuss] Should we write a FOSS4G Cookbook?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Sep 6 07:42:48 PDT 2012

Hello,

I think the 'cookbook' is a great idea! It is about capturing our
collective knowledge and experience, it not about limiting creativity or
change. Just like in software when you have an individual contributor
that has passion, vision and drive can create wonderful things, you also
have to help the other contributors that are not so visionary to do a
good job. The 'cookbook' gives us a recipe for success, it is the basic
stuff that you need to know to get the job done successfully. To
continue with the analogy a visionary chef looks at the recipe and
changes it to suit his creative talents.

So it all depends on whether we "require" people to only follow the
recipe or we use it as a guideline for people that are volunteering to
help but may not have had past experience to get things done correctly.

The cookbook is a great idea in my opinion.

-Steve W