[OSGeo-Discuss] FW: Nominating Ian Edwards to the Board

Edwards, Ian ian.edwards at metoffice.gov.uk
Thu Aug 15 15:30:52 PDT 2013

Thank you Jo, Jeff, Suchith! OSGeo has been a major part of my life for many years - I'm very pleased to be considered for the board and to receive such enthusiastic support.

Over the past eight months I've made significant changes to my work and home life to accommodate working on the FOSS4G 2013 organising committee.  I'm honoured to be a part of an excellent conference team and looking forward to welcoming many of you who are reading this to the UK next month.

After FOSS4G I would like to make use of the substantial space that has been created during the conference preparation to continue to serve OSGeo as a member of the board.

We all acknowledge the fundamental importance of FOSS4G. In addition to this, on a day-to-day basis, I feel that WebCom is the foundation's front-line, expected to deliver both robust services whilst also being looked to for innovation on how we present ourselves to the world. I believe that this is the place where progress is most likely to be realised following the successful conclusion of the long and hard work that has been needed to confirm our tax status. I'm therefore committed to continue providing technical expertise and leadership to support the team as much as possible.

I share Bart's belief that we may have the opportunity to move some areas of our infrastructure to social coding services, like github, that offer excellent service levels for open source projects.  This would reduce our administrative overheads, whilst allowing us to focus on important issues including sponsorship and promotion.

I agree completely with OSGeo's aim to maximise the availability of funding for direct use by projects. However, I'm also aware that this needs to be carefully balanced with ensuring that we promote ourselves effectively and gain further robust streams of income. Working closely with both OSGeo and OGC, I see one of our greatest strengths as being that an individual without vast financial means can contribute at any level, whether on a project, as a charter member, the board, or as our President.  We are not always able to adequately recognise the massive commitment of time and personal finance that this takes.

I am very fortunate to have the support of a large organisation that understands the immense value of OSGeo's work, and therefore I have little need to rely on OSGeo or my our funding. But for others, who are recognised as having a significant contribution to offer, I believe that finding a way to offer a basic lifeline, when appropriate to help us achieve our objectives, is essential.

Ian
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Ian

   FOSS4G is coming to the UK in September!
   http://2013.foss4g.org<http://2013.foss4g.org/>