[OSGeo-Discuss] How to define BoundingBox using GDAL's WCS Driver and XML input?

Patrick Henson phenson at aer.com
Mon Dec 2 06:54:26 PST 2013

Hello,

Is it possible to define a bounding box in order to request a coverage
subset using the GDAL WCS Driver?  I'm using the GDAL Java API and need
to access raster data delivered using GeoServer.

The driver documentation (http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wcs.html) does not
contain a bounding box definition.  I attempted to define the bounding
box in the xml configuration, but the requests generated by the driver
when using gdal.open(wcs.xml) return the entire coverage instead of the
requested area.

|<WCS_GDAL>
<ServiceURL>http://myserver/geoserver/wcs?</ServiceURL>
<Version>1.1.0</Version>
<CoverageName>MyWorkspace:MyCoverage</CoverageName>
<GetCoverageExtra>&BoundingBox=65.0104,31.1977,65.3287,31.4623,urn:ogc:def:crs:OGC:1.3:CRS84</GetCoverageExtra>
</WCS_GDAL>|

Ideally, I'd be able to retrieve the required data and process it using
tools provided by the GDAL.

I'm able to define a url string (below) containing the desired bounding
box, open an HttpUrlConnection, and get a MimeMessage containing the
desired raster data as an InputStream.  However, I haven't attempted to
use the InputStream to instantiate a GDAL DataSet object.

--
Patrick