[OSGeo-Discuss] Open Data, Open Source or Open Configuration, is there a method for Open Sourcing a particular configuration of Open Source projects?

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Feb 6 06:50:17 PST 2013

All,

Seems like a simple question, but I'm not so positive the more I think about it.

We've been working on an Automatic Vehicle Location application that is loosely built on OpenSource Projects.  I say loosely because most if not all of the Open Source components could be swapped out for Commercial versions if needed.  There was a desire early on to eventually open source parts of the project in some manner.  Currently this open sourced aspect is looking like a configuration/specification for how data is stored and transferred between the components, and this is what we propose to open up to the community.  It's heavily focused on the geospatial aspects for obvious reasons, but I would suspect there may be other uses for the configuration unrelated to tracking of vehicle locations.

Currently the components being used are (and there will likely be more in the future) are:

MapServer
OpenLayers
GeoMoose
Postgres/PostGIS

Each of the these components has been configured specifically for the project and these configuration templates would be included as part of the project.  There could even be an installer script included at some point.

So, to put it more simply, does anyone here have any suggestions/comments on how to proceed with project packaging?

Thanks

Bobb