[OSGeo-Discuss] Mapping advice

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Fri Jan 4 12:41:59 PST 2013

Hi Rachel,

As others have noted, it's generally a good idea to keep the number of
different applications low - especially if you would have to learn each one
of them from scratch.

A solution with very few tools would be:
- QGIS Desktop for loading and editing data
- PostGIS as a data storage (I wouldn't go with anything file-based)
- QGIS Server for publishing your projects to the web
- Leaflet (or OpenLayers depending on the requirements) for the web
application

You can probably get some ideas by browsing through some of my posts such
as:
http://underdark.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/qgis-server-on-ubuntu-step-by-step/
http://underdark.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/leaflet-stamen-toner-and-qgis-server-an-intro/

Depending on your exact requirements it might also be worth checking QGIS
Cloud which could save you the trouble of setting up a server and web
viewer.

Best wishes,
Anita