[OSGeo-Discuss] points of interest database

Vasilis Vlastaras vasilis.vlastaras at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 08:21:27 PST 2013

Dimitris and all,

Cloudmade provides dumps of the openstreetmap data in various formats
including shapefiles for all over the world. Those dumps have POIs
included.
All these can be found in:

http://downloads.cloudmade.com/

Checking around Raj's OpenPOIs, I see that POIs come from geonames or
dbpedia datasets. Geonames already mentioned earlier.

DBpedia, an attempt to provide structured information extracted from
wikipedia, provides dumps in N-Triples and N-Quads. Data provided
include geographic information as well.
The dumps for version 3.8 can be found in:

http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Downloads38

Also, LingedGeoData is an attempt to provide linked data between
openstreetmap / DBpedia and GeoNames.
The datasets can be found in RDF format here:

http://linkedgeodata.org/Datasets
http://downloads.linkedgeodata.org/

Vasilis.