[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Standards] [TC-Discuss] Live DVD and OGC standards - GeoPackage

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 05:04:27 PDT 2013

2013/7/9 Peter Baumann <p.baumann at jacobs-university.de>:
> I'm not for hardcoded client-visible raster tiles either.

MBTiles (and the respective GeoPackage spec.) is hardcoded raster
tiles and it serves its purpose very well.
I argued against stuffing GeoPackage up with vector-tiles. At least
given the actual immature state of technology (e.g. howto handle
clipped areas).

Yours, Stefan

2013/7/9 Peter Baumann <p.baumann at jacobs-university.de>:
> I'm not for hardcoded client-visible raster tiles either.
> -Peter
>

> On 07/09/2013 09:22 AM, Stefan Keller wrote:
>>
>> Hi Pat
>>
>> No, vector-tiles is'nt the kind of vector format one would wish as a
>> replacement of Shapefiles (aka "desktop exchange format") .
>> Though, MapBox made a valuable input to GeoPackage by proposing
>> MBTiles as a "desktop exchange format" for raster data.
>>
>> Yours, Stefan
>>
>> 2013/7/9 Pat Cappelaere <pat at cappelaere.com>:
>>>
>>> I was wondering what was going on with GeoPackage as well.
>>> There seems to be some better alternative with Mapbox TM2 anyway
>>> http://www.mapbox.com/blog/vector-tiles/
>>> https://github.com/mapbox/tm2
>>> right?