[OSGeo-Discuss] Nomination for Yann Chemin

Helmut Kudrnovsky hellik at web.de
Mon Jul 15 02:14:32 PDT 2013

I fully support Yann's nomination.

Helmut

>Hi All,
>
>Let us nominate Yann Chemin [0] from France / Sri Lanka (rather "citizen of
the world"), for OSGeo Charter membership.

>Yann is a researcher at IWMI [3,9], Visiting Lecturer at University of
Colombo [4] and Visiting Lecturer/Consultant at University of Moratuwa [5],
Sri Lanka.

>His  research interest lies in water, land and planetary remote sensing [1]
.

>One of his major goals is to provide extensive information on soil and
vegetation from remote sensing sources, that are often the only data sources
available in developing countries.

>We (Anne & Madi) met Yann at GRASS Community Sprint in Genova in 2013 [6],
after many years of email exchange and contributions on GRASS GIS
documentation. We had the opportunity to meet him again [7] in GRASS
Community Sprint in Prague [8], where we discussed extensively on how open
source geospatial software can improve education and land management in Sri
Lanka, where he currently lives.

>We believe that Yann would be a very effective Charter Member. He is a
passionate promoter of open source geospatial, a skilled researcher and a
great communicator.

>Anne, Margherita and Jachym

-----
best regards