[OSGeo-Discuss] [OSGeo-Standards] "Geoservices REST API" story is being discussed on slashdot

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Jun 6 12:33:01 PDT 2013

Arnulf, and all,

I am also of the opinion that ESRI's decision was probably not solely
driven by the OSGeo letter and that some journalists got a bit carried
away in their "open source wins over proprietary" interpretation.
However I also believe that the OSGeo letter added some weight in the
balance.

And BTW I did sign the letter for what I think are good technical
reasons that I expressed on this list a month ago and unrelated to the
open source vs proprietary divide. At least in my mind this was not a
political move, purely technical, even if maybe for some people it was
political.

FWIW I invite you to re-read my reasoning expressed here a month ago:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2013-May/011618.html

"""
What the geospatial community needs is an organization that provides
direction around a consistent set of standards that guarantee
interoperability between interchangeable software components.

The suite of WxS services built over the last 10-15 years is somewhat on
the way of achieving this, even if some pieces still do not interoperate
as smoothly as we wish. Is OGC trying to tell the world that it no
longer believes in WxS?

OGC and its members need to decide whether they want the OGC logo to be
perceived as the "guarantee of interoperability", or just as a
rubber-stamping organization with a large portfolio of inconsistent
standards.

Whether your source is open or closed is out of the question here, so I
am not sure that a statement from OSGeo matters unless it is to point at
this obvious slippery slope in which OGC is falling (a movement which
started with KML a few years ago).
"""

Oh, and you're right when you say that we should not talk of "the OGC"
using the 3rd person (which is what I did above), and that we should
instead ask ourselves what we can do to help. However my plate is too
full already and I'll have to pass on this one and hope that others with
more time available can help (out of the 100+ people who signed the
letter and obviously care about standards).

Cheers all

Daniel

On 13-06-06 9:45 AM, Seven (aka Arnulf) wrote:

> Brent,
> well said. I agree with all you say and I would have signed the letter
> - - if I had thought it necessary to stop the REST API from happening.
>
> One more thing to add: We always think that "the OGC" does this or
> that. Just like people tend to think that OSGeo has a leading voice
> but can anybody tell me how an umbrella can talk? The OCG and OSGeo
> likewise are collectives of sorts and as we are all habituated to
> democrazy-ness we tend to perceive organizations as dual, black and
> white, one opinion and one reason responsible for everything.
>
> Coming back to the latest OGC events I ask: Can an organization like
> the OGC take a political decision at all? If technically things are
> doable (N.b. I do not think that the esri REST API is a technical
> master piece, but it is doable), then what are the reasons to not make
> it a standard? If at all it can only be stopped by a majority of
> members. And even they have a hard time except arguing that there is a
> lack of competing implementations (like Adrian mentioned).
>
> Hence - if you want to get things done (or specifically not done),
> then there is a hard road with lots of work to be gone within the OGC.
> Opened up to five active OSGeo hackers for free. If anybody is
> interested, here is the background:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OGC_Membership
>
> Cheers,
> Arnulf
>
> On 06.06.2013 09:38, pcreso at pcreso.com wrote:
>> + 1/2
>>
>> I agree with much of Arnulf's commentary, and as an OSGEO member
>> who did sign the letter, my reasons were not primarily
>> philosophical or technical, but political. Heavy sigh :-)
>>
>> For some years I have been working towards data sharing &
>> interoperability between a wide range of national & international
>> environmental agencies. "OGC compliant" has become a catchword
>> representing the progress we have made, mostly using WMS, WFS, CSW
>> & SOS. From my perspective, introducing a standard that enabled
>> "OGC compliance" but failed to provide the interoperability was a
>> retrogade step - irrespective of technical merits. I admit this is
>> only one perspective & others may feel differently but it was my
>> primary motivation.
>>
>> I have no doubt that giving the FOSS GIS community open access to
>> ESRI protocols would indeed give the FOSS community a situation
>> they would successfully take advantage of, but I believe there is a
>> better way forward, & hopefully we are heading there.
>>
>> I don't know how much the "open source" input had to do with ESRI
>> withdrawing. I don't really care why ESRI does what it does, I do
>> care about what my community does, & I'm very pleased with the
>> result.
>>
>> I think one longer term outcome will be a better RESTful API, that
>> is perhaps largely ESRI compatible, but addresses some of the
>> technical issues that have been mentioned.

> [...]

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/