[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] OSGeo Board Priorities

Stefano Iacovella stefano.iacovella at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 02:12:05 PST 2013

Dear all,

I would define me more a user than a developer so my feelings are
surely biased toward a more user oriented FOSS4G event.

I feel that one of the main aim of FOSS4G, maybe the biggest one,
should be the possibility for "users" to exchange their experiences
and learn by looking at what others are doing. I quoted the users word
as I would like to use it in the wider sense, i.e. including people
developing and custominzing OSGeo sw, using them and or promoting.

A too strongly developer oriented event could minimize the impact that
FOSS4G event can have on spreading the word of open GIS.
It could turn it in an hackfest, that is a very good event but I feel
it would atract less people.

So I would enjoy an effort form OSGeo to help some "important" people
afford the event but I would also prefer it was not limited to
developers.
It could be nice if the OSGeo board will define some "objectives"
criteria on which it can select valuable prposal to fund.

Kind Regards,

Stefano

41.95581N 12.52854E

http://www.linkedin.com/in/stefanoiacovella