[OSGeo-Discuss] Free Developer Slots at FOSS4G events: [was RE: FW: [Board] OSGeo Board Priorities]

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Mon Mar 4 15:29:46 PST 2013

To add to what Bruce just wrote, unless you happen to live in the region
where FOSS4G is being held a given year, then the cost of traveling to
FOSS4G (flight/train, hotel, meals, etc.) is much more significant than
the registration cost and very likely a bigger show stopper for those
who cannot afford to go.

I am all for trying to make the event more accessible and keeping the
registration costs as low as possible, for instance by choosing more
affordable venues, but I am not convinced that free registration passes
would make much of a difference when you take into acount the other
travel costs and most importantly the complications introduced by an
arbitrary selection process.

My 0.02$

Daniel

Daniel Morissette