[OSGeo-Discuss] Would you be concerned if the "GeoServices REST API" became an OGC standard?

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon May 6 08:00:34 PDT 2013

All,

I'm pretty much in the same camp as Jeroen has described below.

The original advertised capabilities from OGC were to develop a set of common and documented standards that could be used as interoperable building blocks.  It was supposed to be a nice and easy way to say that I, (or we) as developer(s) is/are adhering to a standards approach.  It was supposed to be easy to rally around.

As noted elsewhere in this thread the KML stuff seemed to fracture the OGC universe somewhat.  I had a hard time with its introduction as a standard at the time as well.  Each of these new introductions of processes seem to fracture the original OGC intents even further as far as being a set of standards to  point at.

Now even after having said all of this, how does the community maintain a standards approach while still embracing change.  New approaches need to be vetted and possibly approved as to what they are are and what their capabilities are.  The bigger piece here seems to be the missing aspects of description needed by the end users of the standards, and about what those standards are really capable of, and second, and probably more important, how popular it is to the "Open" community.  I have no idea how a popularity ranking might occur, but it would allow for all sorts of approaches with various standards being introduced but also demonstrate which ones are being used the most.  Hmmm, maybe OGC needs an "Incubation" stage of adoption, which lets a following build (if it's there) or not.

Bobb