[OSGeo-Discuss] The OSGeo response to the proposed "GeoServices REST API" document [was: Would you be concerned ...]

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu May 9 12:32:27 PDT 2013

Adrian,

Thanks for the in depth review. I admit I haven't read the document over
thoroughly but even without doing so there are some obvious concerns.

 From a user perspective (my user), this appears to be a push to get
their way of doing things stamped as a standard so they can let their
users (e.g. government agencies) claim compliance with Open Standards
without having to use WxS. I can see this first hand with my own
personal experience trying to get WFS/GML to work with Arc (supposedly
supported with special add ons) and government agencies thinking if they
put up an Arc Service they've done their duty:
https://services.gis.ca.gov/arcgis/rest/services/Government/CPAD_19/MapServer
(Note the confusing url that implies MapServer software, and the lack of
any non ESRI web service on the page)
To me it looks like they are trying to get out of spending the money to
fix their products so they place nice with all the existing services.

I agree though, that simply turning ESRI away isn't a solution either,
at least they came to the same standards body unlike the OASIS/ISO
debacle over Office formats. Is there someone in the OGC community that
could reach out and negotiate a plan to merge their work and ideas with
the existing standards instead of creating a direct competition to what
is already widely adopted. If they really want it to be a standard they
have to be willing to compromise on some feature to make it more
interoperable, in a sense kml did this by not including all the
possibilities in the original spec.

I also agree 50+1 is a bad bar for a standards body. Which reminds me
that I dropped the ball on renewing my institution’s membership (though
I don't think it had voting rights).

Thanks,
Alex