[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G 2013 Nottingham Update

andrea antonello andrea.antonello at gmail.com
Fri May 10 00:06:38 PDT 2013

Hi Barry,

> The workshop selection process was handed to our workshop subcommittee
> - I've asked them to respond to these issues here on the mailing list
> and personally to you two if that's necessary.

thanks, an open answer is perfectly fine for me. I am not arguing, I
am just interested in knowing the idea behind.

> The balance looks quite good to me, where there is duplication it
> seems to be different aspects of the same project - Postgis Intro and
> Postgis 3d have different audiences, for example. Its possible that
> other projects weren't represented in the proposals which would
> explain their absence.

Well, I can't agree completely, but if that is the point, at least I
know what the reason is. My point was about the fact that there are
many other interesting projects around and I would prefer to see
different projects than the "most important" represented in all their
styles. But it might be only me.

> There are a few workshops from OpenGeo, but if
> you go to their website and see how much they charge for commercial
> training, you might see this as us giving people the opportunity to
> get some great training cheaply from some great trainers.

Well, on this I do not agree at all. Opengeo kind of leads many
important projects and it is clear to me that they can be presenters
of several worksops. They earn it.
But if the getting cheap training is the reason, then I really think
it is wrong!

> Anyway, our Workshop Team will address these issues later.

Now I am really curious, thanks.
Andrea