[OSGeo-Discuss] The OSGeo response to the proposed "GeoServices REST API" document [was: Would you be concerned ...]

Adrian Custer acuster at gmail.com
Fri May 10 10:40:34 PDT 2013

On 5/10/13 12:25 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Adrian Custer wrote:

>>> I strongly suspect the proposed standard would have received a much
>>> better reception from the broader OSGeo community (with the diverse
>>> viewpoints it typically has) if the proposal was more that a "take it or
>>> leave it" (partial?) description of what ESRI has done and is going to
>>> do anyway.
>
> Out of curiosity, how does this compare to the process by which KML
> became an OGC standard?

That was the first really contentious issue I experienced at the OGC. It
is related to the current situation in that the KML experience seems to
have encouraged ERSI to try to push GeoServices through.

However, I did not much care at the time so I did not follow the issues
and controversy. I gather there was a feeling that KML duplicated other
standards at the OGC and mixed data with presentation in a poorly
structured way. I also vaguely remember that there was more of a feeling
that Google really wanted to hand off the standard to the OGC. But
again, I am not sure about any of this; I have never even seen a KML
document.

~adrian