[OSGeo-Discuss] Last chance to reject "Geoservices REST API" standard

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun May 12 17:33:01 PDT 2013

Next Wednesday, the OSGeo Board will deliver an Open Letter to the OGC
and OGC voting members, with multiple signatures, demonstrating the
large number of people concerned about the negative consequences
associated with making the "Geoservices REST API" an OGC standard.

The "GeoServices REST API" was initially developed by ESRI and
implemented on the ArcGIS Server platform before going through the OGC
process. It significantly overlaps with OGC's existing W*S services, but
isn't based upon these existing standards. Consequently, we have grave
concerns that the two competing sets of standards, which essentially
cover the same use cases, will have far reaching, detrimental impacts on
interoperability, complexity, and costs within the spatial industry,
including being bad for Geospatial Open Source software.

Many people, including leaders of OSGeo and related communities, have
already signed this letter. Thankyou. If you agree that "Geoservices
REST API" will be bad for OSGeo and/or the greater spatial community,
then please help us deliver this concern to OGC voters before they vote.
Add your signature to the Open Letter [1] before we deliver it on
Wednesday 15 May 2013, and forward this message onto other OSGeo
communities. (I notice that messages from this thread are being
forwarded to the Spanish OSGeo email list. Thankyou.)

If you are looking for a deep analysis of the issues, I suggest reading
the open letter which is now draft complete [1].

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geoservices_REST_API

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager