[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] time for inspire committee at osgeo?

Marco Lechner - FOSSGIS e.V. marco.lechner at fossgis.de
Thu May 16 00:55:26 PDT 2013

Hi Cameron,

I have no problems keeping the discussions about SDI on discuss-list as
long as the traffic does not increase to bothering people here. I see
this move as an indicator for the relevance of the SDI topic and hope it
will result in a (massive) push of this topic in OSGeo (and local
chapters e.g. D-A-CH aka. FOSSGIS e.V.)

Marco

Am 16.05.2013 05:53, schrieb Cameron Shorter:
> I think it great to hear people wanting to work on / solve INSPIRE /
> SDI type issues, but isn't that a large part of what we do as core
> business at OSGeo? Maybe it would be best to avoid splitting off
> another list, and keep conversation on osgeo-discuss
>
> Looking at Goals/Methods on the wiki:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SDI_Committee
>
> *Goals*
> * Coordinate efforts of development teams
> /--- Yes, done under the OSGeo banner./
>
> * Help to make OSGeo software stack the best choice for SDIs
> implementation
> /--- Yes, done under the OSGeo banner.
>
> /Promote OSGeo software stack, as the best choice for SDIs implementation
> /--- Yes, done under the OSGeo banner.
>
> /*Methods*
> * Checklists
> * Tests
> * Reference implementations
> /Could be done under an OSGeo banner/
>
> * Relevant case studies
> /Yes: //http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Case_Studies/
>
> On 16/05/2013 5:23 AM, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
>> OK,
>>
>> Let's call it "OSGeo SDI committee"
>>
>> To board: There was proposal to start new committee at OSGeo, which
>> would be focused (as Jeff and Serena pointed out) at SDI in general.
>> Now, INSPIRE is big issue to most OSGeo projects and this committee
>> would take care on it, but it should be focused, as mentioned, more general.
>>
>> I'll start some wiki page about it and add new item to our agenda for
>> the next meeting.
>>
>> Jachym
>>
>> Dne 15.5.2013 17:48, Jeff McKenna napsal(a):
>>> Hi Jachym,
>>>
>>> This is a great idea, and I agree is missing as a direct goal by the
>>> existing OSGeo committees.  As Serena mentioned, it should be focused
>>> on SDIs in general.  Would you be willing to start a wiki draft of
>>> this SDI committee? (containing goals, responsibilities, communication
>>> methods, structure [chair, members],...)
>>>
>>> You can then take that to the Board for their thoughts.
>>>
>>> Thanks for championing this for OSGeo.  (I agree, INSPIRE may be EU
>>> focused but it affects all of our projects, and there could be other
>>> global directives that this committee could help guide OSGeo through).
>>>
>>> -jeff

> Cameron Shorter
> Geospatial Solutions Manager
> Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050
> Mob: +61 (0)419 142 254
>
> Think Globally, Fix Locally
> http://www.lisasoft.com

FOSSGIS 2013, Die Konferenz für Open Source GIS mit OpenData und OpenStreetMap erstmals in der Schweiz!
12.-14. Juni, HSR, Rapperswil, http://www.fossgis.de/konferenz/2013/
FOSSGIS e.V.

die unabhängige Hilfe bei freier GIS-Software und freien Geodaten
http://www.fossgis.de