[OSGeo-Discuss] Maps and the Geospatial Revolution from Jul 17th 2013 at Coursera

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 04:09:02 PDT 2013

Snipped a bunch of the email below for brevity --

On Sep 4, 2013, at 6:18 AM, Suchith Anand <Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> ..
> It will be very helpful, if you can share your ideas and experiences to OSGeo Edu community so we can think of ideas for MOOC program entirely using OSGeo Software for the future.
>
> ..
>
> On 30/06/13 03:20, ANTHONY C ROBINSON wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
>
> ..
>
> I'm aware of some OS community angst about my selection of AGOL for doing most of the labs in the course.
>
> ..

Seems like I missed the start of this discussion, but am really glad to pitch in now. A geospatial MOOC completely based on both open software as well as open data would make for a perfect trifecta of completely open educational materials. Kudos.

At Creative Commons we have particular interest in MOOCs, not only for the potential they hold for open and inclusive education, but also for potentially revolutionizing education itself. That potential is currently limited by the restrictive licensing many of the MOOCs adopt. A completely open MOOC licensed under a CC BY or a CC BY-SA license would not only fulfill its educational mission, it would also allow others to take the educational material and remix and repurpose it further.

Please keep the above points in mind when having a conversation about MOOCs. I would be happy to assist where appropriate.

Many thanks,

--
Puneet Kishor
Policy Coordinator for Science and Data