[OSGeo-Discuss] WAP SMS in GIS

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 01:27:03 PDT 2013

On Sep 10, 2013, at 6:23 AM, Ravi Kumar <ravivundavalli48 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> As part of a small Indian city GIS wish to integrate SMS (phhone) messaging for registering
> complaints, using say
> Ward number --> (ward is an administrative unit) indicating the polygon of interest
> Street name --> to further localise the complaint to the intersection of the street with its ward
> and so on..
> If any body can share such designs already used it will be of a great help.

Short answer1 -- this is not easy.

Short answer2 -- look at Open 311

Medium long answer -- I hand-coded a system a couple of years back which required fiddling with the incoming messages, parsing the loc, then doing a point-in-poly analysis to determine where and who was responsible.

--
Puneet Kishor
Science and Data Policy, Creative Commons