[OSGeo-Discuss] Looking for a one pager write up for Why Open Source is good.

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Sep 12 06:45:34 PDT 2013

On 12 September 2013 14:29, MarĂ­a Arias de Reyna
<delawen+osgeo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 4:08 AM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)
> <bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm looking for a one pager write-up for a Booth display for why Open
>> Source Software is a good bet for businesses.
>>
>> Anything I can use freely or pointers would be appreciated. This is
>> intended as an informational handout.
>>
>> I have a start on something below, maybe it's easier for folks to add to
>> these.  I'll go off and look some on Google
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>

> Look for the four liberties of free software. Here are some hints:
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
> And don't use open, use free:
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html

GNU and FSF is not the only trustworthy body.
So, suggesting GNU as the only credible source of the sacred books and
terminology is not a good idea.
What about OSI, what about all those open source and free software
initiatives and concepts
which do not relate to GNU or FSF.

There are many flavours of open source and free software, GNU is just
one of them.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
"Participation in this whole process is a form of torture" ~~ Szalony