[OSGeo-Discuss] RE : Re: OSGEO4W future

Gérald Fenoy gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr
Fri Sep 20 16:18:15 PDT 2013

Dear all,
Despite I agree with you that providing the OSGeo softwares in a binary distribution is a good idea, what do you think of providing something, which may be IMO even better to the end users / developpers, let's call it a build kit or a build environment already correctly setup for integration of new versions of software or even the integration of this or that new software. I really think that it make lot of sense to provide such a thing.

This way, any new projects become able to provide a windows version (x64 or i386, I'm not sure we should provide only x64 versions even it will be the most used, but this is another question) of their software without having to do all the work on their own as so many of us did /do already.

Let suppose that you find a bug in this or that software but you get a patch provided by the OSGeo community (whatever is the project name!), then this patch can be easilly applied on the current build environment and user / devs are able to try the result directly.

Nevertheless, I understand that it is huge work, but cannot we plan to get thz work done in a similar manner than the OSGeoLiveDVD was built. Let say by asking for volonteers to handle a specific project.

It was something I spoke about here and there (conferences mainly) as a key missing thing, so I thought that as you put this discussion on table it was perfect timming to share my thoughts on this.

Waiting for your input and comments.

If this sounds totally irrealisitic please let me say that it is not.

Best regards.

Gėrald Fenoy
http://www.osgeo.org