[OSGeo-Discuss] RE : Re: OSGEO4W future

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Sep 20 18:01:19 PDT 2013

On 09/20/2013 05:33 PM, Dave Patton wrote:
> On 2013/09/20 16:39, Alex Mandel wrote:
>
>> Unlike OSGeoLive we can't supply VMs as that takes paid licenses for
>> the software in question.
>
> Alex - could you please clarify what you mean by this statement.
>
> Thanks

We can't give out Windows Virtual Machine(VM) images with Visual Studio
already installed. The Licensing terms of Windows and Visual studio
don't allow for that, even if the end user has a valid license its
probably not legal. The only exception might be if we make a Windows
Azure image that can be cloned on that platform, since I believe paying
for an Azure instance automatically gives you the Windows License.

Which is different from Ubuntu (what we build OSGeoLive on top of), free
and open source software that is gratis too. We can build derivates all
we want and hand them out.

Were you thinking I meant something else?

What we can do is create an installer or scripts that makes it easier to
deploy a build environment on top of an already installed Windows, I
defer this back to being a subcomponent of osgeo4w.

Thanks,
Alex