[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGEO4W future

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 11:46:34 PDT 2013

I agree that with some love, OSGeo4W has the potential to be an
excellent asset to the OSGeo community.

It also shares many synergies with OSGeo-Live, and I could see many
opportunities for the two projects to benefit each other.

For instance, the OSGeo-Live Project Overviews could be extended to
include references to OSGeo4W.
We could also align OSGeo-Live/OSGeo4W releases and marketing pipeline
(based around the FOSS4G calendar).

 From what I can gather from the outside, it seems osgeo4w's primary
requirement is a 1+ dedicated developer(s) who will drive the core
functions of the project. Namely, setting a release schedule, chasing
developers for contributions, triaging bug lists, etc. This can be done
with or without a PSC or official OSGeo endorsement.