[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] RE : Re: OSGEO4W future

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 00:50:02 PDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:08 AM, Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> I am in favor of both OSGeoLive and OSGeo4W going through a few weeks
> incubation process.
>
> Best,
> Angelos

I'd like to add that I think both projects could be working together
very closely. For me the major value in OSGeoLive are the project
overviews and quickstarts. I''ve pointed them out to many windows
users interested in open source GIS to get an overview of what is
possible with open source gis,and I'm actually basing a training on
them as well.
My own impression is that if we want to reach out to non-geek GIS
users the ideal way would be a system like portable GIS with the great
documentation of the live dvd, ie run and test the programs without
needing to be admin or having to install different programs.
My experience of building packages on windows is scanty, but if more
people support this idea I'm definitely willing to stand up and do
part of the work, if only because I'll need training material for
windows.