[OSGeo-Discuss] WebCom discussions

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Sep 26 14:04:01 PDT 2013

On 09/26/2013 05:26 AM, Ian Edwards wrote:
> To make more concrete progress on the larger issues facing WebCom I'd like
> to start some closed discussions.
>
> If you have experience with the admin of any of the OSGeo infrastructure
> then please join us.  We'll report back progress on the open WebCom mailing
> list. Sensitive information about the systems will be thoroughly documented
> and tested and will become a closed resource for the team moving forwards.
>
> Please reply off list and I'll add you to the discussion.
>
> Ian

Webcom to my knowledge has been inactive for several years, are you the
new Chair? The infrastructure you refer to has all been handled by
members of the System Administration committee. Everything except
security information (passwords) is publicly on the OSGeo Wiki if
someone has taken the time to write it up.

I think to start you might want to relook at what's the role of Webcom
is in relation to Marketing(Outreach) and Sys Admin committees. It got
blurry a while back, and the major thing we hoped Webcom would handle -
migration of main OSGeo site to a new look and feel on a newer server
(so we can retire the old server) stalled after a few iterations of
design mockups.

Thanks,
Alex

System Administration Committee Chair
Marketing/Outreach Committee Member

PS: I'm not looking to join another committee so I'd rather take
questions publicly and see proposals that involve system changes get
sent from Webcom to SAC when necessary. Sorting out what committee does
what seems like an inter-committee thing so probably should happen on
OSGeo Discuss.