[OSGeo-Discuss] UK Interoperability Assessment Plugfest

Mike Saunt mikesaunt at astuntechnology.com
Sat Sep 28 23:52:10 PDT 2013

Daniel, Arnulf et all

Astun have been in contact with the Ordnance Survey regarding this and
would like to participate.  I'm still trying to understand the outcomes
from a business perspective i.e. will there be negative backlash if
software doesn't have a positive outcome.

We have a possible issue with timing but we should be able work though this.

My thoughts at present are that the following software would be looked at
by Astun (which are core to our services):

   - MapServer (vanilla - MapCache potentially could if people felt the
   need)
   - GeoServer (vanilla)
   - OGR (via Loader!)
   - QGIS (Client only)

Interestingly, I think the latter 3 are all used by OS so I'll be
interested to understand their view on the 'compliance' of those.

I'll try to keep you all posted on this - if any other UK OSGeo users /
companies (or elsewhere in the world) would like to be involved I'm happy
to try to coordinate where possible - unless someone else wishes to...

Thanks
Mike

On 27 September 2013 22:48, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com>wrote:

> I agree that it would be great if OSGeo would participate.
>
> The best would be to have a champion, ideally based in UK, to coordinate
> OSGeo's involvement and be the liaison between the organizers and the rest
> of the OSGeo community. Any volunteer?
>
> Daniel
>

> On 13-09-26 9:17 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>> I very much support this activity and believe that it would be quite
>> beneficial to participate. Ordnance Survey is a powerful multiplier in
>> the UK geospatial business due to its position as the main data
>> provider to the public. There is a license program in place called
>> PSMA (Public Sector Mapping Agreement) entitling all public sector
>> broad access to OS data. Not Bene - this is a lot more than what is
>> published through the Open Data program licensed under the Open
>> Government License. I think it is important to understand what data is
>> available and also what can be done with the service offering of
>> Ordnance Survey. The plugfest will additionally allow you to
>> interoperate with other software you typically encounter in the area.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Arnulf
>>
>> PS: I am not working for or paid by Ordnance Survey or OGC and nobody
>> made me say ony of this, it is just my own little gut feeling.
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Peter Cotroneo
>> <Peter.Cotroneo@**ordnancesurvey.co.uk<Peter.Cotroneo at ordnancesurvey.co.uk>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm leading a joint Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) and Ordnance
>>> Survyey interoperability plugfest to test OGC standards in the UK
>>> geospatial community.  So far, there has been a lot of interest from
>>> commercial vendors in the UK, and I would very much like that the open
>>> source community be represented at the plugfest as well.
>>>
>>> The plugfest will be held at Ordnance Survey headquarters in
>>> Southampton, UK.  There will be two sprints, one on the 17th of October and
>>> the other on the 9th of December.  There will also be a results
>>> presentation on the 10th of December.
>>>
>>> The following link gives more information about the plugfest, including
>>> a call for participation document.
>>>
>>> http://www.opengeospatial.org/**node/1892<http://www.opengeospatial.org/node/1892>
>>>
>>> The deadline to participate is the 2nd of October.  I hope that OSGeo
>>> can join us!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> Peter Cotroneo CGeog (GIS) FRGS
>>> Senior Manager - Geospatial Web Services
>>> Products & Innovation
>>> Ordnance Survey
>>> Adanac Drive
>>> Southampton
>>> SO16 OAS
>>> www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk<https**://webmail.ordsvy.gov.uk/owa/**
>>> UrlBlockedError.aspx<https://webmail.ordsvy.gov.uk/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>>
> [...]

*Mike Saunt*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744 009 m:+44 788 7777 680
iShare - Data integration and publishing
platform<http://www.astuntechnology.com>
See the new Helpdesk and Customer portal<http://support.astuntechnology.com>
Over 35% of the 4 star council websites use iShare - SOCITM Better
Connected 2010

See our customer commendations and
awards<http://www.isharemaps.com/customers/awards-and-commendations/>

864201149.