[OSGeo-Discuss] Local Chapter Guidance

Phil Nugent philip.j.nugent at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 18:15:20 PDT 2014

Hey all,

I’m wondering about general guidance or anecdotal experiences of creating a
local chapter or informal users groups.  I’m wondering whether it helps to
have a fleshed out mission and objectives with some sort of general roadmap
or whether critical mass of interest is gained organically over time and to
not worry about the details and just create a wiki page to guage interest.
 I am thinking of organizing a small seminar series at work for people
interested in FOSS4G, but beyond that, do you all have any guidance for
reaching out to potential cohorts in a fledgling chapter’s region?  I have
thoughts on the mission of the chapter aside from goals aligned with the
greater community, but wonder if it’s better if that arises naturally as,
and if, more people become involved.  Any guidance is appreciated.

- Phil