[OSGeo-Discuss] [Election 2014] Nominations finish tomorrow!!

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Fri Aug 1 09:30:16 PDT 2014

> What is the "voting" for, I though all the  nominated members would be
> automatically
> elected.  Perhaps I am the only one not aware of the new election rules.
> Can you clarify please.
>
> Venka

Hi Venka, thanks for raising the question.

On previous years the Board allocated a number of seats and if there
were more nominations than seats then elections were conducted, so
some people could not get the membership if they were at the end of
the ranking. Other years no election was needed because there were
less nominations than seats, so everyone was automatically accepted.

As was discussed in June[1], a new procedure was designed[2]. On this
new procedure, there is no limit of seats for new charter members, the
nominations are carried as every year but instead of having a number
of seats, we will have a different criteria for accepting new members.
Another difference is that instead of voting by e-mail, with 180
members, we will use an electronic voting system.

For every nominee, current Charter Members will have to decide say
"Yes", "No" or "Abstain" for their acceptance. This way we assure that
supported nominees are accepted. The criteria will be:

- The nominee needs to have more Yes than No
- The nominee needs to have more than 5% of Yes of voting members.

And then we arrive to one VERY important point in my opinion. For me,
the +1 and seconds on discuss mean a LOT, because maybe a I don't know
the nominee, but I know many of the nominators and seconders, and I
trust their criteria so they add points for me to vote a *Yes* instead
of an *Abstain*.

There are more than 60 nominations, so checking every nominee
discussion will take a while for Charter Members, but it's a very
important excercise to be responsible on our vote on who will be
accepted.

Sorry for the long mail, I hope it makes sense!!

Cheers

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2014-June/thread.html
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process

--