[OSGeo-Discuss] Inquiry

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 13:45:54 PDT 2014

Interesting problem - however I should direct you away from geotools-devel
(which is focused on making great software) and towards either our users
list (how to use GeoTools) or discuss at osgeo.org (generally questions).

The OSGeo foundation offers a list of service providers here:
http://www.osgeo.org/search_profile if you wish to look for help in your
neck of the woods.

I am not sure that the Google Earth / Bing maps would have the detail you
require (you may need to check their license terms to ensure a solution
built on their technology would be cost effective). That said they are a
good resource for your second point - that of geocoding (i.e. property
address or GPS coordinate).

I have seen similar calculations does based on digital elevation module,
you can identify what direction a property is facing for identification of
an appropriate crop. I am not aware of a data provider that provides
elevation data roof by roof in order to determine slope.

There are a couple of advances though, the US cleared higher resolution
imagery for domestic use - perhaps the rest of the world will as well? And
there is a rise of small satellite providers who may be able to step in
with data products of appropriate detail.

Jody Garnett