[OSGeo-Discuss] [Election 2014] Nominations finish tomorrow!!

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Aug 1 21:04:33 PDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Jeff McKenna
<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> wrote:
> Indeed as I informed the Board privately last night, in another non-profit
> software org there is a hostile take-over trying to happen...so our bylaws
> on elections are very important.

When I approach someone who I want to nominate for charter membership,
I sometimes explain that their only real functional role in OSGeo as
charter members is to be aware of and respond to hostile takeover
attempts of OSGeo or OSGeo funds/assets.  And to serve as the pool
from which board members are drawn.  As unlikely as hostile takeover
attempts are, recognizing and responding to that is the only thing
that charter members can do that non-charter members can not (other
than serving on the board).  In most cases, individuals have already
long been doing and can continue to do all the positive actions and
attributes listed,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Process#Positive_Attributes

I get some "are you serious" responses for approaching people this way
but do think it is worth reminding people of this important (although
unlikely and hopefully never needed) role.  I think that the process
is self-actualizing, i.e. since we have a policy in place that
prevents or guards against hostile takeover attempts, there will be no
attempts since it would not work.  Since we have a maybe somewhat
cumbersome process to guard against something that will never happen
since the process exists, it makes it look like the process is
entirely unnecessary and a pointless headache.

I think that this function is sufficiently obscure that the board
should consider adding it to the positive attributes sought from
charter members and have taken the liberty of putting it on the board
agenda [1].  If the board has time and so desires, they may undertake
this.

I'm not trying to ignore the important role that charter members play
by serving as the pool of potential board members, it is just that
most charter members will never serve on the board but all charter
members can and should actively be aware of and respond to potential
hostile takeover attempts (which once again are unlikely and will
probably never happen so long as we have effective policies in place
to prevent them).

Preposterously, Eli

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-08-14#Agenda