[OSGeo-Discuss] Anyone openly georeferencing maps and pictures in time?

Tim Lund tim at lund.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 05:00:09 PDT 2014

First I'd like to say a big thank you to Pat, Eli & Bob for your responses
here, and also to Jeff who I originally emailed, and suggested I email this
list.  Problems of this type clearly are technically soluble, and some, e.g
in the military context, which I'd not been thinking about, have been
solved.  So let's try to redefine what I looking for, and the questions
which arise.  So:

1. A process for geotagging images which are sparse in both time and space,
but with human expertise on hand.

I think this differentiates the problem from the Structure from Motion
problems linked to, although I note that they include looking at sparse
data.  It's just that having just the occasional photos and drawings
surviving of a location at various points in the past take sparseness to
another level.  I may be wrong, but there has to be a sparsity threshold
beyond which you need to design in the human expert.

For this stage, I think now I was confusing myself by thinking about
warping images to maps; more sensible to warp maps to images, so having
tentatively tagged an image with a location, direction of view and
magnification, then call up a warped version of vector layer map, such as
OpenStreetMap, to compare the edges on the image with what you'd expect to
see, and adjust the initial estimates for the image geotagging.  It
wouldn't need to be perfect, just recognisably making sense to the human
researcher; it's not as if we want to land a missile on anything with
pinpoint accuracy.

An incidental thought here - what does OpenStreetMap do when new roads and
buildings come along?  Can it be rolled back to how things were?  If
there's a data structure of that, could that not be extended to how streets
looked before anyone thought of OpenStreetMap?  If I was trying to locate a
historical photo, it could be helpful.

2. A data structure for holding such geotagged images and relating them to
other types of entity.

Thanks to looking videos showing architectural drawing packages (SketchUp)
interfacing with Google Earth, in which buildings are considered as an
entity type 'component', I think that's the sort of thing I want.  I'm
thinking of this in the context of how city-scapes change, so that seems
natural.  Obviously if it was landscapes, components could be water
features or other components of the non-built environment.  So you'd want a
relation to say that an image is of some component - which would have its
own geotag, and also some vector data to describe its 3D extension based on
the edges obervable - by machine with expert guidance.  This would be a
many to many relationship.

3. A process to use this data to realise what it would look like if you
looked a certain way at a given point in time - so this is where you would
warp the images rather than the maps.  This also has to be a solved problem
- architects and town planners must be doing it every day as they visualise
projected developments, and are also able to add texture from existing
images.  The product I was just looking at in this connection is SketchUp
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SketchUp>

4. Making it happen.

I'm not going to write too much about this, because it would be too vague
and conjectural, but any thoughts on what it would take to achieve the
above, and additional ideas on the sort of entities who might argue for it
and fund it would be appreciated!  I'm also thinking about copyright issues
... any thoughts on that welcome too.

Tim

--
151 Silverdale