[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Suggested text for "Suggestions for Board Membership"

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 15:36:31 PDT 2014

I'm copying this email thread (started on OSGeo-Board) to OSGeo-Discuss
list, as people considering joining the OSGeo-Board will likely be
interested to read and potentially contribute to the discussion.

Jeff,
As per your suggestion, I've copied the proposed text to a wiki page here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Suggested_involvement_from_board_members
It is still in draft format.

Venka, Nick,
We discussed your suggestions (along with others) in the board meeting
today, and I've adjusted the text to emphasis that these board role
descriptions are suggestions are guidelines only, not rules, and can be
updated by future boards. Jeff noted that people have been asking him
for advise on what is involved in being a board member, and hopefully
this text should help answer this question. I agree that the next board
should consider these roles and adjust if needed.

Frank, I've adjusted text to take on some of your suggestions.

Further suggestions and comments are welcomed.  Latest text here contains:

    Suggested involvement from board members

(This section is still in draft format.)

What is expected of a board member? Legal details are listed in section
3 of ourbylaws
<http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html>.
This section provides addition practical guidelines to help set
expectations between the community and board members about the level of
effort involved in the volunteer board member role. It aims to advise on
likely time commitments, as well as clarify the limits of what we should
expected. Note that these are suggestions rather than rules:

  * The board's primary responsibility is to efficiently and effectively
    make strategic decisions regarding related to the running of OSGeo.
    In many (most?) cases, this will involve validating decisions
    already made by OSGeo's subcommittees. (bylaws
    <http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html>section
    3.1).

  * Board members should expect to spend 2 to 8 hours per month on board
    activities.

  * Board members should sometimes contribute a little more, maybe
    negotiating with the community or external organisation, collating
    or developing ideas and writing them up, doing some extra research
    to back a decision, or helping with administrative work like taking
    minutes.

  * Board members should attempt to attend all board meetings, which
    happen at a frequency of ~ once per month, which take ~ one hour.
    (Selection of meeting timeslots are to be negotiated to try and suit
    all members.) If unable to attend, the board member should attempt
    to provide opinions on issues before hand, and vote on motions
    afterwards.

  * Board members should monitor and contribute toward discussions on
    the board email list, and aim to vote on motions within 2 working days.

  * Board members are not paid for their service (bylaws
    <http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html>section
    3.4), but should not be out of pocket if working for the board. For
    instance, a board member should be refunded travel expenses if
    requested to travel on behalf of the board.

  * Ideally some board members should be prepared to speak on behalf of
    OSGeo at events.

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft