[OSGeo-Discuss] Board candidate vision: Dirk Frigne

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Sat Aug 23 05:12:54 PDT 2014

Some thoughts why I want to become a board member

In the first place, becoming a board member is not like elections, where
you stand up and promote yourself, and make yourself popular so you get
elected.

It are members of the OSGeo community who have asked if I would say yes
for a mandate when they nominate me for being a board member.
Why did these members ask me this?

I've  tried to answer that question for myself and I want to share my
answer with the community.
I hope that other members who asked me to do so will second this answer,
or add some remarks I didn't spot yet.

I think Jeff nominated me because he attended my presentation of last
year about communities and ecosystems (in FOSS4G_CEE Bucharest [1] and
FOSS4G 2013 Nottingham [2]). This is indeed a major topic I want to
stand for.

I call myself a Visionary GIS entrepreneur [3], because after years of
observation of who I am and what is driving me, I observed I was. It
seems like I have very sensitive antenna's about how other feel and act,
which give me the ability to 'predict' how things will evolve.

I am very passionate about the whole phenomenon "open" (not only source)
(not only for Geo) and try to find answers why "I"  - I main "We" - are
committed to this.

I want to work around " business" and OSGeo (see [4] and [5])

I want to work on "Fair Trade Open Source" (#fairtradeopensource)

But what is very important: OSGeo is all about "We" and not "Me"
in the opposite of the presentation "being an open source citizen" [6]
where it is all about "Me".

As I red in following blog [7] and I think this concept is true for
OSGeo also:

What does the WE community look like?

    - Its culture is based on principles, not power or politics.
    - Building and maintaining high trust is central to how people work
together — not fear.
    - There is a clear strategic direction.
        *I want to work on this aspect*
    - Strategic decisions are made by consensus among the senior leadership.
    - Leadership is situational rather than positional. Everyone has the
capacity to lead at any given point in time based on their knowledge and
skills.
        *this may the reason I am the right person for the board at this
moment*
    - Individuals subordinate their personal self-interest to the good
of the whole.
    - The workforce owns the work processes.
    - There is transparency in how the organization operates. Secrecy
creates distrust.
    - The organization’s design is flat and team-based; gone are the
days of the pyramid.
    - People work collaboratively for the good of the whole. Independent
achievers need not apply.
    - Accountability happens at the level of self, within teams, and
based on results.
    - People are rewarded in part for achievement of organization goals,
in part for their team work, and in part for their personal development
and contribution to the whole.

hope this helps,
D.

[1] http://2013.foss4g-cee.org/program/keynote-speakers