[OSGeo-Discuss] Fwd: FW: Possible CS-W Portal Opportunity

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 14:47:12 PST 2014

Paul,

I noted your last paragraph below, which does ring alarm bells for me.

What is the intent of this approach? Is it:

   - To potentially launch a piece of software as an open source project
   that DHS S&T will sponsor and support through the incubation process until
   the project becomes self sustaining; or

   - To declare some software that DHS S&T has developed as open source
   with a view for OSGeo, or some other party, to pick it up, sponsor and
   support it through the incubation process, with DHS S&T hoping to get the
   software maintained by others with little or no involvement by DHS S&T.

I'm unclear of the intent behind the approach from your email.

I suspect that you would receive a more favourable response if it was the
first option above. You may even find that an existing project that works
in this space may pick up the software if it is appropriate for their long
term road map.

Bruce

Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Possible CS-W Portal Opportunity

<snip>

There may be an opportunity to completely open source the system, which
would require some additional development to fully support the CS-W
interface.  Based upon the responses I've received so far (thanks again),
it seems like there may be some interest, but I think DHS S&T may need a
stronger expression of interest from OSGeo to move forward. If there's
interest, I could try to schedule a webex meeting to show the system.

</snip>