[OSGeo-Discuss] ML statistics

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Wed Feb 19 03:09:19 PST 2014

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if there is any nice statistics (at least number of
> subscribers, messages per month/year) of OSGeo MLs? I just found [1],
> but it seems to be pretty incomplete.
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers. Martin
>
> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/VisibilityStats#Mailing_list_subscribers

I don't know if there are better statistics (probably not), but being
mailing lists one of the main OSGeo assets, maybe we could try to
improve that stats using something like the parser and visor developed
by URGC university of Spain. This speaker deck[1] by the main
researcher of the group is quite interesting and the parser [2],
viewer [3] and R analysis tool[4] are all open source.

Running that against main mailing lists (discus, committee and local
chapters lists) could give us a better understanding of how OSGeo
community is evolving, right?

I'll ask him about running the parser with just some lists, not the
whole osgeo mailman server.

[1] https://speakerdeck.com/jgbarah/do-you-want-to-measure-your-project
[3] https://github.com/VizGrimoire/VizGrimoireJS
[4] https://github.com/VizGrimoire/VizGrimoireR