[OSGeo-Discuss] Fwd: FOSS4G Sri Lanka -2014 - Event held on 23 Feb 2014

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Feb 26 04:13:13 PST 2014

(to go along with Anne's report)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[SriLanka] FOSS4G Sri Lanka -2014 - Event held on 23 Feb 2014
Date: 	Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:17:50 +0600
From: 	nimalika fernando <nimalikaf at gmail.com>
To: 	srilanka at lists.osgeo.org

Dear All,

I am happy to inform that FOSS4G Sri Lanka -2014 , the first FOSS4G
event of Sri Lanka was held successfully on 23^rd February 2014 at SLIIT
Malabe Campus.

It was arranged in very informal manner, promoting openness and sharing
ideas.

There were 60 participants, out of which 38 were undergraduate students.
It was an interesting sight to see the students from University of
Colombo, University of Moratuwa, University of Peradeniya, Open
University of Sri Lanka , Rajarata University , Sabaragamuwa University
and SLIIT joined together in this event. FOSS GIS enthusiasts from all
part of the island including North and Eastern provinces have joined
with us.

Event consists of

-Keynote address by Dr. Yann

-Seven verbal presentations

-Three posters

-Two lightening talks

-One FOSS4G demo( web  GIS application Development )

All these items showed how FOSS GIS tools are being used to solve real
 issues in Sri Lanka.

Additionally, an OSGeo Live presentation was done while 30 copies of
OSGeo Live DVDs were freely distributed among interested participants.

We have concluded this enjoyable event by selecting University of
Peradeniya, a lovely,green university located in the hill country as the
venue for our next meet up which will be schedule within next four
months. (Malika will organize the event with support of all the community)

/foss4gsrilanka/website will be updated with photos of the event and
other details within next few days.

I wish to offer a big thank you to all participants and everybody who
helped us in making this event a success. Special thanks go to Dr. Yann
who have motivated us to arrange this event.

Cheers

Nimalika